Thursday, May 28, 2015

My early BBC interview about the early Tim Farron

I had to deal with the livestock early this morning, thanks to the BBC and Tim Farron! The goats, ducks, quails and chickens were fed at 6am so I could be in the Bigg Market in Newcastle at 8am for an interview about Tim Farron's university years. Tim was an undergraduate when I was at Newcastle University researching my PhD. In terms of Parliamentary campaigning, Tim was first bloodied in Hexham where I was the Lib Dem candidate in the 1992 general election. Along with other members of the Lib Dem Society at the university, he was dragged out to deliver leaflets through doors in the wilds of Northumberland.

The interview was not about politics. It was about Tim the person. That meant I was free to refer to his pink dungarees and Lenin style cap. His fashion sense was something of a car crash! As a group we regularly met up in the Rupali restaurant in the Bigg Market (hence the location for the interview). It was famous for it curry hell challenge though I can't recall vegetarian Tim taking up it up.

The interview will be broadcast on Sunday on the North East edition of the BBC politics programme. I am yet to decide which of the candidates will get my vote. I know both the candidates and will take a decision after I have seen them perform at the hustings and read what they have to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Tim was first bloodied in Hexham where I was the Lib Dem candidate in the 1992 general election."

Surely you mean "blooded", unless the campaign in Hexham was unusually violent.