Friday, July 21, 2017

Blaydon Food Festival

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (7)

I am a keen advocate of local food production. Shipping food over long distances is wasteful and causes pollution. Producing as much as we can as close as possible to where it is consumed helps to reduce our impact on the environment. As well as preaching the message, I also practice it - I am a food producer myself, growing most of my own food and trading the surplus at events such as the Transition Towns West Gateshead Food Festival at Blaydon Burn Farm on Saturday 15th July. It was quite a successful day and I was cleared out of a number of products. It was good to see one former (Labour) member of Gateshead Council there who was keen to buy my jam (I'll avoid jokes about jam today from the Lib Dems!)

We need more events like this and I would encourage everyone to have a go at growing some food, even if it's just in the corner of a garden or in pots on a windowsill. If we all did this, we will all benefit.

And now for some photos of the event. All food sold there was locally produced:

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (2)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (6)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (1)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (4)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (3)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (10)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (8)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (11)

Transition Town West Gateshead food fest July 17 (9)

No comments: